Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Adventure....

Today was a great day. Everything was certainly not perfect but it felt like everything was perfect. I felt peace no matter what happened today. I felt strength no matter what obstacle was before me. I felt Alive!

The day began with an awards ceremony where I was honored as the Volunteer of the Month from the Battalion. During that time of recognition the LTC spoke about how I contributed to the units success and brought up how I have served the unit while taking care of four children and homeschooling them and maintaining an active role in the community and while my husband was deployed. They joked and bowed to me in awe of what I am doing and I just smiled and said Thanks! I am humbled every time I am lifted up. I so enjoy serving. I love giving. I want to use all that I have to show others the love God has shown to me. I left the meeting proud and filled with additional energy to do more, to offer more, to love more! I felt God speaking to me and calling me out to do more.

I came home after a quick trip to the store only to find my kids ready to get into their school day. We went to our room where school happens and Alexis, Nathan, Aidan, and even Noelle did school. Each one in their own way and at their own pace. Each of them are at a different place in their learning and I enjoy watching them move along in their learning and understanding. It is now only 11:30 a.m. and we are finished. I head upstairs to prepare lunch and I decide we need some adventure today. I tell the kids to get their shoes on and a sweatshirt since it is a cool day today and I gear up for a bike ride. No, not just a ride around the neighborhood. I mean a biking adventure!

Our adventure began at the gas station where I filled my tires with air. Then off we went down the great hill that separate Netzaberg from Post Grafenwoehr. I had Aidan and Noelle in the trailer behind my bike and Alexis and Nathan were on their own bikes. We cruised down that hill a bit frightened initially but soon totally taken by the wind in our hair and the great speed of our bikes! We still had a long ride into post. We made our first stop at Daddy's office. He was shocked to see us but was super proud of our endurance to make it as far as we had come. Next stop was lunch at the famous food court and PX. We enjoyed our meal so much after the long ride we had just finished. We shared stories of our journey down the hill while we ate our lunch. We also spoke of the long journey back. The kids were a bit concerned about going up the hill and were not sure they could do it. I encouraged them and after our nice break we made our way back home. The temperature had dropped more and now we were riding into the wind. Alexis began saying she was tired and was not sure she could do it. I told her a story about a time in my life when I thought I could not do it and how God provided me with a verse to give me strength to endure...to do it. She and I began saying Philippians 4:13 together over and over again until we believed it. Nathan began to give up and I offered him the same encouragement. We all found strength in God's word! He was with us today. He was with us on our bike ride. I found myself looking around and feeling so close to Him. I sensed His presence.

We made it home. The hill seemed never-ending but we never gave up. When we got to the top I could see the joy in Alexis and Nathan's face and the pride of their accomplishment. The rest was easy. We knew what was ahead of us. We made it home and we talked about our next adventure!

I enjoyed the adventure I had with my children and God today.

3 comments:

Tara said...

How exciting...what an awesome day. You always think of the neatness things to do. I shared this Todd and Brianna and they loved it.

We love you!

Erin@The Phillips Fam said...

This gave me the chills. You really amaze me with all that you do, and the sweet heart you do it in. Always ready and ever willing to serve others. I miss you so much, and I feel so blessed to call you my friend. Love you!

A said...

Sounds like so much fun!


http://www.studenthandouts.com/