Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Deployment Day 291

This photo was taken the morning we took Michael to the airport. It has only been 16 days since he left, but it feels like months have passed since we held him. Each of the children are dealing with the separation differently. Watching my children grow is a constant, beautiful reminder of how we are all fearfully and wonderfully made. There is no one like me and there is no one like you! My five year old has always been a mama's girl but recently has become a bit clingy. This is so not her. She has always been such an independent soul. Since Michael left she does not want to do things she normally loves to do. She had decided Awana is not her thing. Her words not mine. I asked her, what do you mean it's not your thing. She said, I am into sports, ballet, and music. I said, well are you no longer interested in memorizing God's word. I said, isn't God your thing? She said, Mom, God is everywhere. He does not just go to Awana. How do you argue with that? So, while the older kids are at Awana, Noelle and I have enjoyed some special time together. She talks almost the entire hour and half that her siblings are gone. We curl up together and read a book or play the piano or watch some T.V.  and get dinner ready. She has been so sweet. I will continue to encourage her to go but right now I am trusting my instincts and letting her stay at home with me.

Having gone through two other deployments with children Noelle's age I am aware of how important the primary parent becomes when one parent is away. I am not sure if Noelle is going through a phase right now or if she is needing some security since her daddy just left. While Michael was here she hugged her daddy a lot. She would leave the room to play and then come back just to hug him and then go play some more. My older kids did the same thing. The primary difference between Noelle and my older children right now is their ability to connect how they are feeling with words. I am not sure Noelle can always communicate that she misses daddy. I see it in her eyes when she lights up when she sees his face on Skype. It is so obvious and so beautiful. We are all walking out this deployment. We are facing the struggles with honesty and transparency. The children and I are looking above...keeping our eyes on the Lord. Our help comes from the Lord.

~ Angela

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Reaching out across the miles with a hug for all of you...

The Kay Family said...

Hugs right back at you Susan!