Sunday, September 30, 2012

Deployment Day 177: Gold Star Event

Hello Ya'll :) I know it has been some time since my last blog post. I miss posting daily but it is where I am at right now so I must accept that a daily blog is not working for me at this present time. I should be headed to bed right now but I couldn't go to sleep without acknowledging today. Gold Star Mother's Day is observed on the last Sunday in September. Today at the chapel the Gold Star Mother's were honored with a white rose and a prayer. We then had an opportunity to greet them. I was an emotional wreck seeing all the families representing a fallen soldier but still had to tell them how sorry I am for their loss and hug every one of them!

After chapel I came home to pick up the food that filled my refrigerator for the Gold Star Event that would take place at the local VFW. As the Outreach Coordinator for Protestant Women of the Chapel when I learned about how we could support this event I did so without a bit of hesitation. Our outreach team members prepared the salads for the lunch. I also attended the lunch and helped serve the meal. I served the meal alongside the Men of the Chapel. The men prepared the BBQ and beans. Another group provided desserts. It was a beautiful event. A VFW member read a letter a mother wrote to her son after he died expressing all that she felt called to do for the Gold Star families and the military community after he died. The Gold Star families at the event today are pillars in this community. I see them involved in so many local organizations. They already sacrificed so much but they continue to sacrifice for others. It was a beautiful and moving event. I was humbled and empowered. I love serving others. My heart is full.

~ Angela 


Me and the Men of the Chapel



2 comments:

Lana Vaughan said...

You are truly love in action!

Tara said...

Amen! You are such an inspiration to others.