Sunday, May 27, 2012

Deployment Day 51: Recognize and Remember

Today something unexpected happened. I took my children to the pool here on post and discovered that since my husband is deployed we don't have to pay for a membership. The entire season is free. I am always taken back by the amount of benefits given to deployed families and this post seems to have so many benefits for deployed families. My family has already benefited from several opportunities.

 However, after learning of another benefit today I begin thinking about how I feel about the benefits. I think what stands out the most is that when I hear of a benefit or receive a benefit I feel seen and recognized. I am not seeking attention or even recognition but it is in that moment that I feel like the challenges of deployment are acknowledged. I don't carry my blue star flag around with me and I don't complain about how lonely I am. I simply live life to the fullest with my children. I serve in my community and I celebrate each day.

I rejoice seeing families together all the while longing to have my family complete. I smile when I see a couple in love all the while longing to express my love to the one I love. I love seeing dad's playing with their children all the while wanting the same for mine. I know this is only temporary and that many families will never be whole again, that many couples will never be able to express their love for one another, and that many mom's and dad's can no longer play with their children.

Freedom is not FREE...I would like to acknowledge, recognize, and honor the men and women who gave their lives so that I can enjoy the freedoms our country has to offer.

Angela


Here is one shot from the pool of the little ones. The older ones were too busy for me to keep up with. The logistics of two swimmers and two non swimmers at the pool on my own makes it hard to take pictures.
Noelle and Aidan at the pool today.

No comments: